Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Day of Reflection


I really started this post several times and just couldn't complete it, because I just could not put my feelings for the day in words. I kept reflecting on what this day meant to so many people and I kept thinking and remembering a dear friend I had as a child. You see, when I was young, up until I was in ninth grade, whites and blacks were not even allowed to go to school together. They even were looked down upon if they really associated with each other. I kept reflecting back to the Grand Theatre and a Saturday afternoon matinee, in which I wanted to attend with my friend, who just happened to be black. Dad tried to explain to me, that we could go to the movie, but we would not be able to sit together. I guess, I let this bit of information just go in one ear and out the other. But, when we jumped out of the car and headed to get our ticket, my dear friend headed to a different line. I was quite confused. When I asked what she was doing, she told me, "I have to sit upstairs." I still did not understand. Because I had been to the Saturday movies, many times, with friends and we had always sat together. But, this was different. I got my ticket and went in to have a seat. As I searched for my friend, I looked toward the balcony and there she was smiling down at me. Later in the movie, I headed to the concession stand to purchase my prized box of Milk Duds and as I was heading back to my seat, I noticed the steps to the balcony. I started up the steps. All of a sudden, the manager of the theatre, stopped me and said "Angie, you can't go up there." I told him, I just wanted to sit with my friend that had come with me to the movie. He tried, again, to explain to me that the balcony was for "colored." This made no sense to me. Again, I explained that she had come to the movies with me. He knew my father and mother, as he was also the "coffee man" for the country store owned by my parents. I went up those steps and there sat my friend, all alone, in that balcony. We sat together, sharing our Milk Duds and watching the rest of the movie.

After the movie, we headed out the front of the theatre, to meet Dad. Before we could reach the car, the manager opened the door of the car and was explaining to Dad, that I had insisted in sitting with my friend in the balcony. Dad kept saying it was okay and the manager kept saying that he didn't want in trouble. Dad again insisted it was okay. It was just two friends, not that one was black and one was white. We were simply friends.

This also happened, when I wanted to take my friend to the swimming pool. Mother tried to explain, that my friend could not go with me because of the color of her skin. So, I decided I would go to the swimming pool in her neighborhood. Well, this was also not understood by the manager of the swimming pool. They really didn't want this "white" kid at their swimming pool. When Dad picked me up that day, I, in a childlike manner, tied to explain and ask...why couldn't I do things with my friend. I felt then, that Dad could not answer me, because he didn't understand it either. He just kept saying "that is the way it is."

So, as I watched the inauguration of our 44th president, Barack Obama, I thought of my dear Sharon and how proud she must be of the day. For me, it was a very emotional and spiritual day. For this man, who stood on the steps of the capital, which was built by slaves, taking an oath of office for our country. To watch the 1.8 million people on the mall in Washington, was overwhelming. To see all the colors that make up this United States, coming together for such a special event, I was brought to tears. It was a day of celebration. Our country has come so far, yet racism still exist. On the news, just last night, a white family in Georgia, who supported Obama, had placed Obama signs in the yard. The mother had taken her three children to Washington to attend the inauguration. She got word, while in Washington, that someone had burned her house to the ground and written hate words, in reference to President Obama, on the garage door.

Please, people, how can this still be taking place in our country. I know this is just pure ignorance at work. I'm not sure how we can educate those so ignorant. But, I hope that parents today are explaining to their young children that someone who looks and believes differently from them, are still good people and are also productive citizens. I know one of the most staggering statistics yesterday, was the fact that 1.8 million people were visiting Washington and reports are that the police department of Washington, did not make one arrest. This statistic shows, we can be united as one. We can work together to educate people, for the good of country and our existence. It does not matter what race, religion or political party, we are humans, a mixture of all colors and beliefs. Just because others believe differently or look differently, we should not judge. Just ask yourself, "did I take the time to even get to know them and did I even try to understand their stories or beliefs."

I'm sorry, I got on such a tangent. But, I just feel hope for our country and I am most proud to be an American. Please give President Obama and his administration a chance. Keep them in your prayers. We created the mess of the world and we, united, can change the ignorance that is rampant in our society.

So, Sharon, my thoughts were with you yesterday and how important that day must have been to you. It certainly was to me. So, why don't we celebrate by going to the movies.

No comments:

Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

The Grandbabies and their parents

The Grandbabies and their parents
Our dear son and family