Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day


As I reflect on past days, of the heart, I am taken back to elementary school. We always had the most wonderful Valentine's Day parties. The week before was spent making great valentine boxes, for our classmates to place those prized valentine cards. We would take a shoebox and decorate it with beautiful papers, hearts and the special white pierced hearts. The hole was cut in the top where the cards could be dropped inside. On that special day, we would all place our hearts in each classmates box. The prized cards were the ones with lollipops attached. In the afternoon, we would have wonderful treats such as those heart shaped sugar cookies with icing and a note that read "Be my Valentine." What a wonderful memory.

Now that I'm older, I am thankful for my wonderful valentine of the past 28 years, my husband, Barry. He is always so thoughtful. Like this morning, he went to the local bakery and brought back a beautiful white box with those prized heart shaped sugar cookies inside. Some were decorated with pink icing and some with red. It took me back to those wonderful cookies in elementary school, so many years ago.

This year, I'm also thankful for the wonderful grandchildren. Our baby twins, Jackson and Ryder. Yesterday, we made the hour trip north, to take our son, daughter-in-law and grand- boys their valentines. We spent the day at the local park. The boys enjoyed so much swinging in the dolphin baby swings and strolling around the grounds. This adds a new take on Valentine's Day. You see, I get to revisit those past Valentines, through their eyes now. I can't wait until they are old enough to make those wonderful valentine boxes and we can spend hours decorating them just to perfection.

With this I close, wishing everyone the Happiest Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

The Grandbabies and their parents

The Grandbabies and their parents
Our dear son and family