Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Unexpected Snow Storm


We just experienced a wonderful unexpected snowstorm over the weekend. It began to snow about noon on Sunday and it continued to snow into the night Sunday night. When we measured on our deck, we had a little over eight inches. We lost power and phone service about 5:00 in the afternoon. It was dark and you could hear trees and limbs popping throughout the night. Needless to say it was a long night.

Upon awakening Monday morning, to my surprise, we had power. I immediately started a pot of veggie soup, as I love to cook when it snows. However, within 30 minutes, our wonderful power and phone were off again. Well, when the power is off, you have to be creative. I took the chafing dish and poured in my soup and it cooked throughout the day. We had hot chocolate, made in the old coffee pot, heated in the fireplace. We used our grill outside for other goodies. So, needless to say, we did not go hungry.

The prize of the day was snow cream. I went out to collect the snow in a dishpan. Mixed my evaporated milk, sugar and vanilla in with the snow and we had wonderful snow cream. Actually, we still have some in the freezer.

This snow cream brought back wonderful memories of my Grandpa Jess. These warm fuzzy memories, thank God, are still etched in my mind. I can smell the pipe tobacco that always surrounded him. The making of snow cream was one activity, I only shared with Grandpa. He would grab the metal dishpan and two huge spoons (the metal scoop like spoons that came with ice-cream back then) and out the door we would go. It seemed we always had to find the perfect location to gather the snow. Along the way, I would have show him how to make beautiful snow angels and throw snowballs at various objects in the yard, especially the chickens. However, I never remember throwing a snowball at Grandpa. Maybe I had been told not to do this, or maybe I just knew NOT to do it. Upon our return to the house, he would gather the vanilla, sugar and fresh milk and begin the mixing process. It had to be just the right consistency. We would eat on this snow cream all day. What a special memory and each time it snows, I think of my dear Grandpa Jess, who was a very resourceful man in his own right. He was a trapper and would sell his pelts to Sears. But, that is a whole different story. Thank you Grandpa for such sweet memories.

No comments:

Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

The Grandbabies and their parents

The Grandbabies and their parents
Our dear son and family